Want to know where grant management is heading?
Let’s start by getting inside the head of the Council On Financial Assistance Reform (also known as COFAR.)
This organization (with lots of help from the grant community) has led the charge for the new grant regulations.
4 Priorities for Grant Management
Here are COFAR’s four main priorities for effective management of Federal grant funds through 2015:
1. Guidance Targets Risk & Minimizes Burden
2. Standardized Business Processes & Data
3. Well Trained Workforce
4. Strong Program Oversight: Audit Resolution
In this article we are going to look at the priorities for a well-trained workforce and what that means for your organization.
Are You Qualified to Manage Grants?
One of the challenges that COFAR identified was the lack of consistent requirements that qualified people to carry out the tasks of grant management.
• They felt there was confusion about what basic skills and competencies were needed for grant staff to be successful.
As a result COFAR is looking to develop a long-term vision and possible framework for grant management credentials
More on this expected later in the year
Are You Trained to Manage Grants?
Another challenge that COFAR discussed was that there wasn’t any basic level of training required for people who performed various grant management functions.
• We’ve seen this as well.
In our experience, it’s common for only a small handful of people involved with grant funding at an organization receive any foundational training in what is means to manage federal dollars.
It’s unclear at this point if COFAR is moving towards setting training requirements, or just supporting the expansion of training and resources for organizations.
By mid-summer we are expecting more clarity in what additional resources may be available to your organization through COFAR’s effort.
Are You Ready for the New Grant Regulations?
At MyFedTrainer.com we’ve been preparing for this change in the grant management regulations for months.
Let me share some ways that we are supporting a well-trained grant management workforce:
1) Training on the current grant regulations is conveniently available online right now.
2) Online training for the new grant regulations will be available by mid-summer. (We plan to coincide with the federal agencies releasing their agency-specific regulations this summer.)
3) We are adding a new one-day intensive LIVE training for organizations that want to quickly and effectively train groups at their location. (If you are interested in this solution, please contact us.)
Wondering what other “gotchas” are in the new grant regulations?
Looking for a quick overview?
We’re offering a FREE one-hour informative webinar on the new regulations.
Register Now for Free Webinar
Our next webinar on the new grant regulations is coming up.
When: Thursday March 27th at noon Eastern Time, (11 AM Central Time, 10 AM Mountain Time, 9 AM Pacific Time)
We will walk through some of the new policy requirements and other key areas contained in the new grant regulations and have a Q & A session for grant recipients as well.
What would you like to know about the new grant regulations?
Register Now for Free One-Hour Informative Webinar on Thursday March 27th, 2014
Lucy Morgan CPA, MBA
CEO, Compliance Warrior
P.S. If you registered for the last webinar, you don’t have to register again. We will email all the details to you as we get closer to March 27th.